Monday, June 2, 2014

Vintage Cookbooks Make Me Giggle

Ladies drinking smoothies in the 1950's: They are wearing hats! Love.
photo Courtesy of vintagecookbooks.blogspot.com
When I was researching the history of cookbooks, I came across some fairly hilarious pictures that I think are important for me to share.

If nothing else, these pictures will prove to you that American Cookery has come a long way, and that we can all be thankful to be living in an age where we can start Cookbook Clubs without fear of the content of the books.

Before I dispense with my self-imposed giggle fest, if you are a real vintage cookbook fan, I recommend that you visit Amy Alessio's site where she cooks from Vintage Cookbooks.

From Sophia Loren's In Cocina Con Amore Cookbook

Back in the 70s, it was cool to pretend like tossing pizza dough was easy.
Perfectly coifed hair, check. Makeup, check. Smile...well.

Actually this whole cookbook is a gem. Checkout this post from Swide for more pics!

The Jell-O Trend that lasted way too long

Adorable lady holding a ring of olives and meat slices in lime Jell-O.
Vintage Cooking at its finest
Courtesy of Living Out West
No seriously, this was a big trend. In fact here's a link to an awesome Jell-O Recipe. Are you wondering what you will make? Ring Around the Tuna!
Page from a Jell-O Cookbook circa 1970: Ring-Around-The-Tuna
Ring-Around-the Tuna: I know what I'll be eating tonight!
Photo Courtesy of Lakehouse Publishing

If you enjoy making fun of the surging Jell-O trend of the 1950's, 60's and 70's be sure to check out this post from Collector's Weekly, and this highly engaging Buzzfeed.
Are Sue Perkins and Giles Coren totally plastered throughout the show?
Yes, but don't be jealous. They have to eat really weird food.
Photo Courtesy of  Genevieve Valentine

I didn't give any credit to this show in my inagural post, but these Giles Coren and Sue Perkins are absolutely brilliant in this show.  They "travel" through time and reference the cookbooks of the day, all while making snarky comments with British accents in period costumes.  True Genius if I do say so myself.

Weiner Nation Cookbooks

1970's Hotdog Cookbook by Nathan's. It's only a little ridiculous
Hot Dog Ring with random greenery
I'll take mine with a glass of wine.
Photo Courtesy of Lola Vintage

For some reason (and I think it was a cheeky reason), hot dogs were all the rage in the 1970s.  As was candle salad which recently appeared in a Penzey's Spice Catalog.  Well done Penzey's (I do love their spices though)

Candle Salad: That's not phallic at all.
Photo Courtesy of TallSkinnyMom

Do you have any vintage cookbooks, recipes or pictures that make you giggle? Let me know in the comments section.


No comments:

Post a Comment