Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Well Fed: Pale Recipes For People Who Love To Eat- A Cookbook Review

Do you love to eat?

The only thing that makes me happier than a person who loves to eat
is my baby who loves to eat.
My best friend and I like to claim credit for my Sister and Brother-In-Law's marriage.  Although, we had little to do with setting them up or even encouraging them to start dating, we both prayed extensively that they would get married.

Just three weeks after their second date (their first one was in eighth grade, their second was their junior year of college), my brother in law almost ruined everything. How? Gum.

You see, He and Emily went to my parents, and my mom offered him some freshly made homemade cookies. He responded, "No thanks, I've got gum."

Gum! You have Gum! These are freshly baked homemade chocolate chip cookies.  My mom is practically famous for them, and he rejected them for gum. This is how we know that God answers prayers, because my mom forgave that, and she didn't stage an intervention when she learned that Kevin did not drink coffee (at the time, now he's an avid fan).

Needless to say, I come from a family that loves food:

Some people, like me, are food lovers.  I love to feel wet, raw vegetables in my hands as I slice them for a stir fry, and I love to smash raw meat and eggs with my bare hands as I make burgers. There is no smell that I love more than that of freshly baked bread except maybe that of applewood smoke on the grill, and there is no sight I love more than a table full of food and people enjoying it. I even love to listen to food sizzling in the frying pan or on the grill.

In her first book Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat, Melissa Joulwan writes for people like me.  In her well written intro Joulwan writes about her own family and her love of food; she writes about her struggles with her weight, and her journey to health. She also gives a few scientific explanations of the Paleo diet.

Although I do not eat Paleo, I loved this book, and every recipe in it. When I lent it to a friend who was diagnosed with Celiac disease, I highlighted no less than 14 recipes that I considered a must try. A few of the pages in this book are grease stained and the back cover is a little ripped from the time I set the book in some unknown sticky substance...for a few days.

Are you going to love Well Fed?

Well Fed: A Paleo Cookbook
Summary: Well Fed has about 120 pages of Paleo recipes and pictures (each recipe has a corresponding picture), along with advice on "clean eating" and a heart warming introduction.  Joulwan also gives a bit of advice on her signature "weekly cook up" a method for preparing meat and vegetables that can be used ad-hoc throughout the week.

The recipes are delicious and accurately written (Joulwan also provides tips to change up the flavor profile just a bit). Her recipe introductions are brief, but they do convey her love for the dish, and they are sufficient to help you understand.

Though the book is printed on traditional paper, the photography is still stunning.  The photos inspired me to try new dishes, but it wasn't so intimidating that I thought that I could never make it.

Ingredient lists tended to be reasonable in length (6-12 items, almost all can be purchased at a traditional grocery store), but if you're not used to buying Paleo products you might not be used to the calls for coconut aminos, various vinegars, and a large number of spices.

The book covers, tips and tricks, sauces and seasonings, proteins (main dishes), veggies, and a few fruit recipes.

The book has thus far failed to convert me to a Paleo diet, but I have begun to adhere to clean eating principles more often than I used to.

Best For: Of course, people who follow a strict Paleo diet will be the most inclined to buy this book, but as a non-Paleo eater, I loved it too.  This book is best for people who enjoy spending time in the kitchen, and who prefer a wide variety in their diet.  While the recipes are easy to follow, they took take a little bit of skill, so its a book I recommend for home cooks that have the basics down, but are looking to grow their culinary chops.

Not For: Vegetarians. Although this book does have a few recipes that are certifiably vegan (and delicious) recipes, Joulwan has a heavy focus on meat throughout the book (even when its used as a condiment). People who don't particularly like adventurous eating might not like this cookbook. Joulwan's inspired recipes come from all around the globe and emphasize the use of spices to enhance the flavor of a dish. Finally, extreme beginners in the kitchen might be too intimidated to give this book a try.  Although there are several simple recipes, the ingredient lists have enough strange ingredients and the recipes require enough technique that a true beginner may need to look elsewhere.

Recipe Highlights: Joulwan's sauces cannot be rivaled. Stir-Fry Sauce, Sri-Lankan curry Sauce and Moroccan Dipping Sauce regularly make it into my dinner line up. Paleo Pad Thai (actual recipe linked) is Joulwan's signature dish, and Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Pork) is another one of her famous works, but the highlight for me was "The best Chicken You Will ever Eat" which indeed lived up to its name.

If you're like me, and you love food, I hope you choose to buy a copy of Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat, $17.37 on Amazon right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment